Useful information for bachelor students
Index of this page:
- How to register for an oral examination
- How to submit modular credits
How to contact the examination office
Tatjana Ahrends, Carla Högemann, Julia Reuter
Wachsbleiche 27, 49090 Osnabrück
Tel: +49-541 969-3363
(Please refer to the Procedures during Covid-19 pandemic.)
How to get a Transcript of Records (TOR) (PO WS 2019/20)
If you started your studies in WS 2019/20 or later, you can get your TOR via the CAMPUS service.
1. Log into myuos as usual and chose the "Studienservice" menu option.
2. Now choosing "Bescheinigungen", you can see the page where you also have access to your matriculation certificates, ec.
3. Scrolling down a bit, beneath "Meine Studiengänge", you can find PDF files named "Leistungsübersicht" in a german and english version. These are your transcripts!
Note: The download may not appear if there are not yet grades registered for you in the HisInOne/EXA system. Once your lecturers have added the grades for your exams or the examinations office has completed the transfer from exam registrations in Opium, you should see the download option appear.
Please note: The TOR created by HisInOne/EXA is only valid if signed and stamped with the offcial seal of the Osnabrück University. For validation, bring your TOR to the examination office.
If you started your studies earlier than WS 2019/20 (even if you switched to the new PO), please follow the following instructions:
- Collect your certificates at the Examinations Office. Type the chronologically ordered list of your courses into the appropriate document:
Study regulations WS2011/12: TOR_Bsc_PO_ab_2011.odt
Study regulations: WS2019/20: TOR_Bsc_PO_since_2019.odt
- If you have already completed one or more of your modular examinations, add them to the list under section “Modular Examinations”.
- If you already have approved credits from foreign universities, add them to the list under section “Courses transferred from other universities”.
- Save the file as an OpenDocument Text (.odt) and email your transcript to the Examinations Office.
- Visit the Examinations Office during the respective office hours and bring along your chronologically ordered certificates and an Opium printout, for cross-checking.
- Your TOR will be processed, and can be collected in the Examinations Office (usually) one week later.
Note: To calculate a current average grade (relevant e.g. for master applications), please make sure you have already registered at least 3 modules, otherwise the grade cannot be calculated.
Attention: the processing time can take up to 3 weeks during peak periods (typical submission deadlines for scholarship applications, semester abroad, master applications, etc.).
In order to re-register for the 3rd semester, you need to submit proof of at least 40 credits, as soon as possible.
This section is subject to change until we figure out how the re-registration will be done for students using the new EXA system. Please also expect a mail from the examinations office in this regard.
The re-registration will still have to take place, but we are currently figuring out a system that would make it easier for everyone involved, using the new EXA system.
- It is your responsibility to organize the re-registration, it will not be done automatically!
- There will be special office hours during the re-registration time
- You will not be automatically expelled from the program, if you are waiting for the results of a re-examination, e.g. or if your lecturer fails to submit the results on time.
The mandatory semester abroad is usually scheduled for the 5th semester. You can either study at a foreign university or do an internship at a foreign institution. Your stay abroad should be registered early with Petra Dießel or Sven Walter.
More information about the organization of your stay abroad can be found at http://ikw.uni-osnabrueck.de/en/erasmus (for the Erasmus program) and http://www.uni-osnabrueck.de/2457.html (for staying abroad in general).
IMPORTANT: You must fill out the following document after you return from your semester abroad! You must submit it to the Examinations Office when you register your bachelor thesis: Erhebungsbogen
More information about the organisation of your stay abroad can be found at study abroad .
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, students have the option to get an exemption for the mandatory semster abroad. You have to apply for the exemption before the 30th March 2023 and is only valid for students that are going to complete their studies until the winter semester 2024/25. You can download the exemption here and send it to the examination office (via email).
In order to get the approval of foreign university credits, you must:
- Print and fill out the following document for each certificate that should be approved: Antrag auf Anerkennung einer auswärtigen Studienleistung im Studiengang Kognitionswissenschaft
- Visit the Examinations Office with the document(s) and your foreign university transcript.
- The approval will then be processed and can be collected one week later.
For the approval of foreign credits which may be used as compulsory elective credits for modules*, you must first contact the appropriate lecturer for his signed consent, before visiting the Examinations Office:
|Mathematics||Prof. Dr. Stefan Kunis|
|Artificial Intelligence||Prof. Dr. Kai-Uwe Kühnberger|
|Philosophy for Cognitive Science||Prof. Dr. Achim Stephan|
|Neuroscience||Prof. Dr. med. Peter König|
|(Computational) Linguistics||Prof. Dr. Elia Bruni|
|Neuroinformatics||Prof. Dr. Gordon Pipa|
|Computer Science||Dipl.-Biol. Astrid Heinze|
|Methods of Cognitive Science||N.N.|
*Please inquire before your semester abroad , whether the courses you are planning to take can be credited as compulsory elective module components in our study program.
How to get approval for Online Courses
In order to get credit points for online courses:
- Print and fill out the following document for each certificate that should be approved: "Antrag auf Anerkennung einer auswärtigen Studienleistung im Studiengang Kognitionswissenschaft"
- Print out information about content and structure of the course (e.g. Syllabus)
- Visit the Examinations Office with the document(s) and your certificate for completing the online course
The approval will then be processed and can be collected one week later. There is no need to get a signature from a resident lecturer before you hand it in. The courses will count towards the optional module. You can get a total maximum of 4 credit points for online courses.
Please request a confirmation of your internship from your intern supervisor. The confirmation must include the following information:
- Duration of your internship (must be at least 3 full calendar months)
- Number of weekly working hours
- Task description
A maximum of six credits are given for each month with a minimum of 30 working hours a week.
There are two different kinds of modular examinations in our study program:
- Oral examinations – Here the grade from the oral examination is the grade for that module.
- Course certificates – This type of module consists of prescribed courses having a given amount of credits. The module grades are calculated on the base of the individual course grades and credits submitted for the respective module.
How to register for an oral examination
The very first thing to do is to get an appointment for the examination itself. There are different ways to do this, for our different examination fields.
- Computer Science: Request an examination date from the Computer Science secretary.
- Artificial Intelligence: Request an examination date via Email from Prof. Kühnberger.
- Neurobiology: Request an examination date from Neurobiology secretary.
The examination procedure itself differs from study area to study area. Please ask your prospective examiner about this.
Important addendum for digital oral examinations due to Covid-19: Please sign the following document and send it to the examinations office as well: Letter of Acceptance, then:
- Print and fill out the following document:
Study Regulations WS 2019/20: Anmeldung_muendliche_Pruefung_PO_2019 (One oral exam is required, two more can be taken upon request. Three credits are granted per oral exam.)
Study Regulations WS 2011/12: Anmeldung_muendliche_Pruefung_PO_2011 (One oral exam is required, a second one can be taken upon request. Three credits are granted per oral exam.)
- Contact your examiners and get their signature on the last page.
- Bring the form, together with the required compulsory and compulsory elective certificates, as well as a copy of your matriculation confirmation to the Examinations Office.
- You will receive an admittance letter via mail within a few days.
- You can collect the certificate at the examination office, after passing the exam.
Attention: Oral examinations should be registered at least 2 weeks before the examination date.
How to submit modular credits
- Print and fill out the following document:
Study regulations WS 2019/20: Scheinanrechnung_PO_2019
Study regulations WS 2011/12: Scheinanrechnung_PO_2011
- Bring the form with your original certificates, an Opium printout and a copy of your certificate of matriculation to the examination office.
- You can pick up the certificate at the examination office after one week
Before registering your thesis in the Examinations Office you must select a research area, a supervisor and a topic. Ask prospective supervisors how possible topics are selected in their research area.
- Fill out the following document:
Study regulations WS 2019/20: Anmeldung_Bachelorarbeit_PO_2019
Study regulations WS 2011/12: Anmeldung_Bachelorarbeit_PO_2011
- Fill out page 3 and have your supervisor sign it.
- Visit the Examinations Office with the following documents:
- an up-to-date photo of yourself
- an up-to-date TOR and the corresponding certificates (originals and copies)
- Minimum requirement for the registration:
- New examination regulations: certificates of at least 3 out of 5 modular examinations (handed in credits or oral examinations)
- Old examination regulations: certificates of at least 4 out of 5 modular examinations (handed in credits or oral examinations)
- Minimum requirement for the registration:
- a curriculum vitae (a chronological overview of your education)
- a immatriculation certificate for the current semester as well as the semester in which the thesis will be handed in
- verification for your semester abroad
- proof of 10(PO_2019/20) or 5(PO_2011/12) experimental subject hours*
*The form for collecting the experimental subject hours can be found here.
When handing in your thesis, a signed declaration of authorship must be bound in each of the 3 required copies: Declaration of Authorship-Vorlage.doc
When finishing your studies, you will need certain confirmations and statements for your applications to subsequent universities. Possible standard confirmations are: confirmation of (ECTS) credits, preliminary average grade and preliminary bachelor’s certificate.
How to get an preliminary bachelor’s certificate
The following requirements must hold:
- You have handed in 3 copies of your bachelor’s thesis
- Both supervisors have confirmed via email to the Examinations Office that you will pass the thesis with at least 4.0 (sufficient)
- You have fulfilled all study requirements and examinations
Note that during holiday seasons this process can take some time.
How you can switch to the new study regulations
The new regulations for the bachelors program were accredited for the winter term in 2019/2020. Students who began their studies before the winter term 2019/2020 can either finish their studies according to the old regulations or they can switch to the new regulations. You have to submit your application for transferring to the new regulations before you register your bachelor’s thesis.
Please note: The date on your application will count as the date from which on you were under the new PO.
For consultation regarding the switch please contact the mentoring team or the dean of studies.
Those students receiving BaföG must have accumulated a total of at least 90 credits by the end of the 4th semester. In order to be confirmed, Form 5 must be submitted to the Examinations Office, along with the respective course certificates and Opium printout totaling at least 90 credits.
Form 5 can be downloaded from: