The Institute of Cognitive Science
The interdisciplinary Institute of Cognitive Science was established in June 2001 and officially inaugurated in November 2002. It was developed from the Institute for Semantic Information Analysis, which had existed since 1993.
"Perspectives for an Institute of Cognitive Science at the University of Osnabrück"
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Claus R. Rollinger's (former Director of the Institute) speech on the occasion of the official inauguration of the Institute of Cognitive Science.
The following professorships belong to the Institute:
- Artificial Intelligence: Prof. Dr. Kai-Uwe Kühnberger
- Bio-inspired Computer Vision: Prof. Dr. Gunther Heidemann
- Cognitive Computing: N.N.
- Cognitive Modeling: Prof. Dr. Michael Franke
- Comparative Biology of Cognition: Dr. rer. nat. Simone Pika
- Computational Linguistics and Cognitive Science: N.N.
- Neurobiopsychology: Prof. Dr. Peter König
- Neuroinformatics: Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Gordon Pipa
- Philosophy of Cognition: Prof. Dr. Achim Stephan
- Philosophy of Mind: Prof. Dr. Sven Walter
- Psycho-/Neurolinguistics: Prof. Dr. Jutta Müller
- Analytical Philosophy: Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Lenzen
- Differential Psychology: Prof. Dr. Julius Kuhl
- Work and Organizational Psychology apl. Prof. Dr. Kai-Christoph Hamborg
- Neurobiology: apl. Prof. Dr. Gunnar Jeserich, Prof. Dr. Roland Brandt
- Knowledge-Based Systems: Prof. Dr. Joachim Hertzberg
- Philosophy and Ethics of Technology: Dr. Saskia Nagel
Research at the Institute is aimed primarily at questions of higher cognitive functions - on the one hand, as pure research on an interdisciplinary level with an interest in more comprehensive scientific knowledge, i. e. overlapping the traditional disciplines. At the same time, however, our research is aimed at creating technologies innovatively and competently, which can serve a modern information society (see Research).
The members of the Institute teach in the following programs:
- Cognitive Science Bachelor Program
- Cognitive Science Master Program
- Cognitive Science Doctorate Program
In January 2003, the Bachelor and the Master Programs were evaluated by the "Zentrale Evaluations- und Akkreditierungsagentur Hannover" (ZEvA) (Akkreditierungsbescheid). Both programs were re-evaluated in 2011 by "Agentur für Qualitätssicherung durch Akkreditierung von Studiengängen" (AQAS) (certification document).